Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya: (ಶ್ರೀ ಬಂಡೆ ಮಹಾಕಾಳಿ ದೇವಲಯ)
Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya is also called Sri Bande Kalamma temple and also spelled as “Sri Bande Mahakaali Devalaya” dedicated to Goddess Sri Mahakali one of the most fearful manifestations of the Supreme Goddess Shakti. However, in this temple, the divine mother is the Soumya Swaroopa (pleasing form)and is situated on a small hillock on the banks of Kempambudhi lake and right next to the historical Landmark and icon of Bangalore city, “Kempegowda WatchTower”.
» Address: Kempambudhi Kere Yeri, 75, Brindavan Nagar, Gavipuram Guttahalli, Srinagar, Kempegowda Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560019.
» Open and Closing hours: 7:00 am to 8:30 pm and Extended hours tills 9:30 pm on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Amavasya and Purnima days.
» Post-Covid 19 update: Open with Mask, Sanitizer, and social distance. (05-July-2021).
» Contact number of the Temple chief priest Mr. Shashi Kumar is just Click +919620044446
Below is the Photo of Goddess Sri Mahakaali, (moola udbhava Devi) taken on Friday 16th July 2021.
Table of Content (Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya, temple )
- About Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya (Temple).
- History of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Overview of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Amenities at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Pricing of Top Sevas performed at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Things to do at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Videos of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- How to reach Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Thade Hodiyodu at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Special days and dates of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Best items to buy, used for Pooja at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Best time to visit and worship Sri Bande Mahakali.
- How to appease Goddess Sri Mahakali.
- Nearby attractions of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
The Bande Mahakali Temple at Gavipuram Guttahalli is one of the oldest temples in Bangalore. A nearly three-foot-tall mahogany sculpture carved into a rock stands on a pedestal. Prasanna is in the hands of the quadrilateral goddess with Abhaya, Parashu, Damaru, and wooden seals. First, there is only one court hut, which is an umbrella for tourists. It is said that this place became famous as the Bande Mahakali as the tourists came here from different villages and stayed under the umbrella. The temple has been renovated with stairways leading from the road to the temple. There are special poojas on Tuesdays, Fridays, full moon, and new moon.
Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya (Temple) is a large spacious place that also houses eight numbers of other co-deities namely.
- Utsav Murthy.
- Sri Sai Baba.
- Sri Sankashtahara Ganapathi.
- Sri Karumariyamma sannidhi.
- Sri Nadumaramma sannidhi.
- Sri Muneshwara Swamy sannidhi.
- Sri Banni Mahakali Amma sannidhi.
- Sri Murugan Sannidhi.
This history as narrated by Mr. Shashikumar, the chief priest and Secretary at Sri Bande Mahakali Temple which was a very ancient temple in the middle of rocks that was lost some centuries ago, but in the year 1509 CE, a miracle happened when a lady Shepard by the name Nanjamma, while gazing at sheep and Cows heard an airborne voice ordering her to Worship the idol ( present-day deity Sri Bande Mahakali) but the Najamma thought this as an act of local village boys, ignored it.
After one week again Nanjamma heard the same voice, but this time informed the villagers when the villagers came here and searched this place to their delight they found the “Sri Mahakali” carved out of a big rock, they named it Sri Bande Mahakali Amma. Later Nanjamma started to worship this idol every day and one day in the year 1520 CE, Kempe Gowda I the founder of modern-day Bengaluru, left a bullock cart to mark a place to build a Watchtower, Bullock cart he left had halted next to this temple. that is the reason a Watchtower, Gavipura Watchtower is located in this temple.
Kempegowda had taken the blessings of Sri Bande Mahakali while constructing the Bengaluru, and had also built this temple. To the present day, this temple is administered by the lineage of Sri Nanjamma, now the secretary and chief priest are Sri Shashikumar.
Ancient at least 1200 years old.
Goddess Sri Mahakali
Temple Architecture style
traces of Ganga Architectural style.
Garudagamba (Victory Pillar)
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Amavasya & Purnima.
Peak rush Day
Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays, Amavasya and Purnima Days
Group Satyanarayana Pooja
Yes Performed on Full moon days.
Yes on demand.
Paramapada Kshetra (Moksha stala).
Scared Month for Worshipping Goddess Sri Mahakali, is
During Navratri, Begins on
Thursday, 7 October 2021
and ends on
Thursday, 14 October 2021
Preachings on Vedas / Bhagavad-Gita
Vedic Remedies for
to Get rid of Black Magic and Thade Hodiyodu
Pradhana Archaka (Main priest)
Mr. Shashi Kumar.
Annual Rathotsava on
Open and Close hours
7:00 am to 9:30 pm
Free of Cost
Yes Free of Cost
Wheelchair accessible parking
Nearest BMTC Bus Stop
at 100 meters away
Nearest Metro Station
2.9 km Lalbagh Subway
Nearest Auto Rickshaw Stand
at 50 meters away
Distance from Vidhana Soudha
The vehicle parking area of Sri Bande Mahakali temple Photo:
Cost in Rs.
Panchamrutha Abhisheka Special days
Ammanavarige Huvina Alankara
Ammanvarige Halina Abhisheka
Sri Sathyanarayana Pooja (in Group)
Sankashti Chaturthi (in Group)
Thade Hodiyodu ( items )
Vahana pooja two-wheeler
Vahana pooja three-wheeler
Vahana pooja Four Wheeler
Vahana pooja Six Wheeler
Besides worshiping and praying to Goddess Sri Mahakali, other things to do here is,
- Ashwattha Katte is Peepal Tree with a circumambulate path (This deed is called Ashwattha Katte Pradakshina). The Hindu temples are built keeping in mind the multidimensional aspects of the Sanatana Dharma, which emphasizes the Moksha (Moksha means liberation from birth and rebirth cycle) aspect and the Artha (Artha means worldly pleasure, Assets, tangible things). For Artha-related queries In Vedic astrology, the planet Jupiter (Guru) is attributed (Karakatwa).
- Ashwattha Tree (peepal Tree, Ficus religiosa, or sacred fig) is assigned to the Planet Guru, thus for Marriage, Artha related problems one has to do Pradakshina of Ashwattha Tree.
Astonishing scientific fact about the Ashwattha tree is one of the rare trees which gives Oxygen 24 hours, Usually, Neem trees are also can be found along with the Ashwattha tree in “Ashwattha Katte” yet another tree which not only gives Oxygen 24 hours but also absorbs the sulfur dioxide (SO2) from the atmosphere, Thus doing Pradakshina in Ashwattha Katte gives most required Oxygen (O) for free.
- Nagara Katte is a circumambulate path here the idols of the Snake god along with Lord Subramanya will be there. As per Sanatana Dharma, the Snakes are a representation of the unpredictable universal energy, Killing a snake will stop prosperity and thus never kill or harm snakes. As per Vedic Astrology, the planets Rahu-Ketu Represent The snake worshipping it gives prosperity, Interestingly Indians are more prone to have snakes in their dream.
Navagraha temple, most of the Temples in India will have one place dedicated to Navagraha with circumambulating paths, the Nine planets in Vedic astrology.
The best way to appease Goddess Sri Mahakali is to chant the Slokas and 1000 divine names of the Goddess and kumkumarchana.
Sri Gavi Gangadhareshwara Devastana (Temple), 500 meters away⇓
Sri Pralayakalada Veerabhadra Swamy Temple, 10 meters away⇓, is dedicated to Lord Sri Veerabhadra, with 32 arms and facing North directions one of the rarest temples built around 1000 years ago.⇔
Harihareshwara Temple, Gavipuram 600 meters away, is yet another ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.⇔
Which are the popular Temples around Sri Bande Mahakali Temple?
|Temple Name||Deity||Distance to Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya|
|Sri Pralayakalada Veerabhadra Swamy Temple||Sri Veerabhadra||10 meters
2 min walk
|Harihareshwara Temple||Sri Shiva & Sri Vishnu||500 meters
8 min walk
|Sri Jalakanteshwara Temple||Sri Shiva||700 meters
10 min walk
|Sri Bandi Mahakalamma Temple||Sri Mahakali||300 meters
5 min walk
|Sri Bandi Mankalamma Temple||Sri Mahakali||800 meters
12 min walk
|Sri Gavi Gangadhareshwara Cave Temple||Sri Shiva||600 meters
5 min walk
|Sri Rama Krishna Ashrama||Sri Saraswati||1.5 km
5 min drive
|Big Bull Temple ( Dodda basavanagudi)||Sri Nandi|| 1.8 km
6 min drive
|Dodda Ganesha Temple||Sri Ganesha||1.8 km
6 min drive
|Banashankari Temple||Sri Parvathi||6.4 km
15 min drive
|Sri Mallikarjuna Temple Basavanagudi||Sri Shiva||2.2 Km
6 min drive
|Jinke park||Garden and walk path||850 meters
10 min walk
|Kempambudhi Kere Lake (gate no 2)||Lake with boating facilities||500 meters
5 min walk
|Gandhi Bazaar||Famous shopping street and Food courts||1.9 km
4 min drive
|Bugle Rock||Ancient Rock formation||1.8 km
6 min drive
|Sri Kumaraswamy Temple||Mount joy||1.5 km
5 min drive
|Kempegowda Watchtower (No4)||Gavipuram||5 meters
few steps away
|Karanji Anjaneya Swamy Temple||Basavanagudi||1.8 km
6 min drive
|Sri Govardhana Kshetra||Sri Krishna||1.8 km
6 min drive
Below is the map of the Driving direction.
- Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya (Temple) Can be reached By BMTC bus, Kempegowda swimming pool bus stop is just 120-meter away from Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya. BMTC Bus route no “35”.
- The National College Metro station is 2.1 km away from this temple.
List of Amavasya and Hunnime Dates in the year 2021:
These are Special days at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya, below is the complete list for the Whole year of 2021:
Amavasya Dates in 2021:
Start and End timings
April – 2021
Sunday and Monday
Friday and Saturday
December – 2021
Hunnime Dates in 2021:
Start and End timings
April – 2021
December – 2021
Navratri Dates in 2021:
17-October-2021 (Saturday) to 25-October-2021 (Sunday).
These are located on our Youtube Channel, Please subscribe we frequently update with new Content.
Kempegowda Gadigopura (Watchtower)
Contact us on +91 8431671363 – Call-Whatsapp-Telegram-Signal
Sri Jalakanteshwara Temple is at 700 meters distance and 10 min walk.
Sri Bandi Mahakalamma Temple is at 300 meters distance and 5 min walk.
Sri Bandi Mankalamma Temple is at 800 meters distance and 12 min walk.
Sri Ramakrishna Ashrama is at a 1.5 km distance and a 5 min drive.
Big Bull Temple ( Dodda basavanagudi) is at a 1.8 km distance and a 6 min drive and it is a historical landmark of Bangalore city.
Dodda Ganesha Temple is at a 1.8 km distance and a 6 min drive.
Banashankari Temple is at a 6.4 km distance and a 15 min drive.
- Sri Mallikarjuna SwamyTemple Basavanagudi is a 300-year-old Temple dedicated to Lord Sri shiva is at a 2.2 Km distance and a 6 min drive.
Jinke park is at 850 meters distance and it is 10 min walk.
Kempambudi Kere Lake (gate no 2) is just 500 meters distance and it is 5 min walk.
Gandhi Bazaar is at a 1.9 km distance and it is a 4 min drive.
Bugle Rock is one of the oldest rock formations on earth is at a 1.8 km distance and it is a 4 min drive.
Sri Kumaraswamy Temple is at a 1.5 km distance and it is a 5 min drive.
Kempegowda’s Watchtower (No4) is just 5 meters and a few steps away.
Karanji Anjaneya Swamy Temple is at a 1.8 km distance and it is a 6 min drive.
Sri Govardhana Kshetra is at a 1.8 km distance and it is a 6 min drive.
Question 1. What is the meaning of the name “Mahakali”?
Ans. In Sanskrit Kala means time, and someone who controls time is Mahakali, also Sri Mahakali is the consort of Sri Mahakala ( a manifestation of Lord Sri Shiva).
Question 2. What is the meaning of “Bande’?
Ans. Bande is the Kannada term for Rock, boulder, and Big Rock.
Question 3. Why is the prefix of Bande for this Sri Mahakali Temple?
Ans. Since this Temple of Sri, Mahakali is Situated between the boulder and the main deity Sri Mahakali statue is carved out here on one of the boulders, and a boulder is called Bande in the local Kannada language is Bande, Hence the prefix of Bande to this Sri Mahakali Temple.
Below is the photo of the backside of the Sri Bande Mahakali Temple, its full of Boulders (Bande)
Question 4. What is the difference between Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya, Sri Bandi Mankalamma Temple, and Sri Bandi Mahakalamma Temple?
Ans. The main difference is within 800 meters from Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya there are another two temples dedicated to Sri Mahakali named Sri Bandi Mankalamma Temple (address is 11th Main Rd, Weavers Colony, pipeline, Srinagar, Banashankari, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560050) and Sri Bandi Mahakalamma Temple (address is Kaveri Nadi road, Brindavana Nagar Bengaluru 560019), pronunciation of all the three names audio file, as well as the Name board of these temples, is as below this will clear all the doubts.
- Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya.
Question no 5. What are the other popular names of Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya?
Ans. Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya (Temple) is also known with other 27 popular names like, (1) bande mahakali, (2) bande mahakali temple, (3) bandi mahakali temple, (4) bandi mankalamma, (5) bandi kalamma temple, (6) sri bande mahakaali temple(moola udbava devi), (7) sri bande mahakaali devalaya, (8) bandi mankalamma temple, (9) bande kalamma temple, (10) bandi mahakali, (11) bande mahakali temple bangalore, (12) bandi makalama temple, (13) bandi mankalamma temple bangalore, (14) bandi mahakali temple bangalore, (15) bandi mahankalamma temple, (16) shri bandi mahakali temple, (17) bandi mahakali amma temple, (18) bandi mankalamma temple location, (19) sri bandi mankalamma temple, (20) mankalamma temple, (21) bandi kaliamman temple, (22)bande mahakali temple in bangalore, (23)mahakali temple bangalore, (24)sri bandi mahakali temple bangalore, (25)sri bande mahakali temple, (26)bande mankalamma temple, (27)bandi kalamma temple bangalore.
Question no 6. How to worship Goddess Sri Mahakali?
Ans. Goddess Sri Mahakali is purely a tantric god, Thus it involves some tantrums to worship the divine mother, Sri Mahakali, in this page I have written all the details step by step of these procedures just go to the table of content on this page.
Question no 7. What is the meaning of the Kannada Term “Thade Hodiyodu” and how it is performed at Sri Bande Mahakali Devalaya (Temple)?
At Sri Bande Mahakali Temple, they are three types of Thade Hodiyodu,
- Normal Thade Hodiyodu at Rs 100.
- Bhood Kumbalakai (Ash Ground) Thade Hodiyodu at Rs 250.
- Koli Thade Hodiyodu at Rs 600.
Thade Hodiyodu, The logic, and magic beyond Science:
Before Thade Hodiyodu should know a few basic elements of Sanatana Dharma, only this can be understood more scientifically.
The Sanatana Dharma’s 4 basic aims of life are Dharma (moral values), Artha (profits, gains, wealth, Health, Gold, etc), Kama (pleasure from tangible objects), and Moksha (Free from birth and rebirth cycle), these 4 aims of life are actually called Purushartha.
However, while attaining these purusharthas of life during the normal course of life, Individuals may be facing many obstacles, to deal with such obstacles arising in day-to-day life the Sanatana Dharma has various methods as mentioned below.
- Temples: Visiting a particular Temple is recommended, for example, if a person has a delay in getting married he will be suggested to visit Tirupati-Tirumala and perform “Kalyanotsava” for the Lord Sri Venkateshwara.
- Yantra, which are specific geometric formations of various kinds scripted on a thin layer of Gold, Silver, and Copper measuring 5 inches by 5 inches, these formations are symbolic of God or Goddess. For example, if a person gets frequent nightmares means he will be advised to worship Hanuman yantra.
- Mantra, are a couplet of Sanskrit verses praising a God or Goddess. For example, if a person has debt problems, he will be advised to chant Goddess Sri Lakshmi Mantra.
- Homa is a fire ritual that involves a process of burning a few elements like Ghee, cotton, etc. Agnihotra is one of the easiest Homa to attain all-around prosperity.
- Tantra can be termed as a technique using physical objects to accomplish certain goals. For example, if a person does not get enough money for his livelihood, he can offer Honey to Lord Shiva. Tantra is the easiest way to attain the desired results of purushartha and to this day and age, it’s relatively cheaper. Tantra again has two branches: Called Sadachara (Right path) and one Vamachara (Left path). Both the occult practices of Sadachara Tantra and Vamachara Tantra are ascribed to one Goddess Sri Lalitha Parameshwari (another name of Goddess Sri Mahakali) and Thade Hodiyodu is a Tantra to Remove Obstacles raised out of bad aspects.
Generally, normal Human beings will be constantly emitting 6 kinds of thoughts, in Sanatana dharma, they are called Arishadvargas, Namely Kama (desire, craving), Krodha (Anger, rage, outrage, fury, irritation, indignation, agitation, antagonism, ), Lobha (Greed, jealousy), Moha (attachment, devotedness), Madha (pride, ego, Self-esteem), and Matsara (enmity, rivalry).
- Aura in Humans believed that having a low-level electromagnetic field, an ancient theory says this energy is expressed in seven layers, each having a connection with physical vitality, Emotional Health, Mental Balance, and Spiritual vibes.
- Thus any Humans aspects with any of Arishadvargas stated above can positively or negatively impact the other person, if the other person’s Aura is weak then he will be facing problems, to remove this bad energy from the affected person in Vedic tantra it is called Stambhana kriya, in Kannada, it is called Thade Yodiyodu.
- Thade Hodiyodu can be performed in both Sadachara Tantra and Vamachara Tantra, further, in Sadachara Tantra the actions are performed using Mantras and sacrifices will be Coconut breaking, Lemon Crushing, and Ashground hammering. Whereas in Vamachara Tantra, the actions are less with mantras and sacrifices will be of the pot, Eggs, and so on